If your pet needs orthopedic surgery, it’s normal to have questions about what to expect. At Aloha Affordable Veterinary Services, our Aiea veterinarian team can help you make informed decisions about your pet’s health needs and will ensure your beloved animal companion is in good hands.
Keep reading to learn more about pet orthopedic surgery, including why it might be necessary and which procedures we perform at our clinic.
What is Pet Orthopedic Surgery?
Veterinary orthopedic surgery is an advanced type of medical care used to treat and prevent acute and chronic conditions affecting an animal’s musculoskeletal system (muscles, ligaments, tendons, joints, and bones). Certain breeds of animals, including larger-sized dogs, may be more at risk for orthopedic health problems.
If things like medication, weight management, and dietary modifications aren’t enough on their own to improve your pet’s condition, orthopedic surgery is often the next best step. In some cases, such as when your pet experiences acute physical trauma, orthopedic surgery will be the first approach needed to save your pet’s life or make a significant improvement in its quality of living.
Why Your Pet Might Need Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopedic surgery can help animals with conditions like limb and joint deformities (e.g., hip dysplasia), severe osteoarthritis, and acute injuries like broken bones, joint dislocations, and torn ligaments or tendons. Additionally, your pet might need orthopedic surgery if it exhibits any of the following signs or behaviors:
- Limping, holding a paw off the ground, or maintaining an unusual posture
- Trouble moving about (e.g., getting up from the floor, climbing stairs, getting in/out of the car, etc.)
- Reluctance to run, play, or jump
- Shaking or trembling
- Frequently distressed or anxious (e.g., panting, shaking)
- Cries out while moving or being petted
- Recently suffered some sort of physical trauma (e.g., fall or hit by a car)
Remember to save our contact information, as well as the contact information of 24-hour emergency veterinary hospitals near you, for immediate emergency medical care if your pet ever suffers a traumatic accident.
Types of Pet Orthopedic Surgery
Common types of orthopedic surgery performed at our clinic include:
- Ligament and tendon reconstruction surgery, including Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO), which is done to repair torn ligaments in a dog’s knee
- Surgical insertion of pins and plates to repair fractured bones
- Joint replacement to replace traumatically or chronically injured joints
During surgery, our pet patients are closely monitored by our team and placed under general sedation to keep them safe and comfortable.
Caring For Your Pet After Surgery
Strategies From Our Aiea Veterinary Team
In addition to performing surgery, our Aiea veterinary orthopedic surgeons also prescribe medications and other treatments to improve your pet’s outcomes. We also teach you how to care for your pet after surgery. Aftercare instructions include:
- Give your pet a comfortable and quiet place to rest
- Watch for signs and symptoms of complications, such as infections or bleeding
- Provide all medications as prescribed
- Bring your pet to any scheduled follow-up visits, including physical therapy
Do You Have Questions About Orthopedic Surgery for Pets?
Call Aloha Affordable Veterinary Services today at 808-445-3624 to schedule a pet wellness exam or find out more about our pet orthopedic surgery services.